Utilizing Internet of Things (IoT) solutions and analytics to deliver a personalized vending experience
- In 2014 Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA)¹, one of the largest beverage distributors in Australia & APAC, retrofitted vending machines touchscreens, video cameras, and Microsoft Kinect technology to create a digital, personalized vending experience.
- The solution capitalizes on IoT to connect with the consumers’ personal devices and provide them with an interactive multimedia and social-media experience via games, contests and Facebook posts.
- The solution uses multiple data streams – including geo-location and facial recognition technology, social media input and weather services – to personalize the flow of content to individual customers in real time at the point-of-sale.
- Customers are provided with content and experiences that have been shown to boost sales and brand loyalty.
- Digital coolers recorded a 12% increase in sales, compared to the sales generated by standard coolers. One digital cooler, which was located in the off-premise licensed channel and displayed a beverage discount offer, recorded a 120% increase in sales in a single month.
- CCA can collect and analyze sales data and information about customer interactions, enabling it to continually refine the customer experience and improve back-end processes.
- Teamed with TKM9 to create a solution that integrates coolers with mobile phones and a backend system used for analytics and real-time updates.
- The solution connects coolers equipped with Windows Embedded touchscreens and Kinect for Windows technology to an analytics application running in the cloud on the Microsoft Azure platform.
1. Sources: www.foodbev.com; WEF/Accenture Analysis
Coca-Cola Amatil is one of more than 100 case studies identified as part of the World Economic Forum’s Digital Transformation of Industries initiative. An overview of the DTI program can be found here.